Copyright 2006-2012 © LIPSTICKPOWDERNPAINT.com. All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Is Julia Stiles a homewrecker? And was it awkward at the Emmys as Jennifer Carpenter and Julia both walked the red carpet? We’d would have killed to have been there for that! But, really that has nothing to do with this post – we’re here to talk about Julia’s look.
Celebrity makeup artist Brett Freedman worked with Ms. Stiles at this year’s Emmy Awards – and for the first time – to get her all uber-glam. “To give Julia’s look a touch of edge I opted to give her a smokey eye with plum and gunmetal accents to pair with her downplayed mouth,” he explains.
Here’s the rundown on her makeup look:
- Dermalogica Active Moist was used as a primer, followed by a very sheer layer of Fresh Umbrian Clay Foundation SPF 20 in Sun Empress for a soft lift of colour.
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage was used to conceal any imperfections and also used around mouth and along the top of Julia’s brows to crisp up the line and make pop (subtly).
- The makeup was set with Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder. “It’s universally flattering and dodges shine beautifully without layering pigment on top of base,” shares Freedman.
- Maybelline New York Dream Mousse Blush in Soft Plum was applied to cheeks, followed by NARS The Multiple in South Beach over top. Using both products gives the cheekbones depth.
- Freedman used MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Wedge as a base for all around eye, on lid and up into crease.
- He then smudged MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Quarry over top to deepen and cool down the tone.
- Next, MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Sketch was applied just on the lash line, top and bottom and smudged out.
- MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Idol Eyes was used with a damp brush to add glisten and tie in the dress. On the brow bone, Freedman used MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Shroom to pop the tail of the brow.
- Freedman applied Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Revolver very close to the lash line and used Shiseido Automatic Fine Eyeliner in Black from the mid-eye to the ends, in a slight cat-eye fashion, to give eyes lift.
- “When doing a smokey eye it’s super important to have a very black, very vivid lash line, ” says Freedman. He curled the lashes then applied three coats of Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Mascara, then curled again to get ultimate pop!
VANITYMARK Ultra-Brow Pencil in Blondie was used to give just enough shape to brows without looking hard or ashy.
Freedman applied Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Plumberry all over Julia’s lips to give them colour and definition, then patted Elizabeth Arden Exceptional Lipstick in Starlight on with fingers as a stain.
Nails popped with a plum and a touch of metallic: OPI The One That Got Away.
So, was this look a hit or miss? We think it was a huge HIT!
On a side note: call us crazy but her armpit looks mighty strange. Maybe it’s just us!