MAC Cosmetics, Monet and Moi: MAC Bloggers’ Obsessions Collection

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Parisian Skies eyeshadow from MAC, created by Lipstick Powder N paint

What do M.A.C Cosmetics, Monet and little ol’ me have in common? An eyeshadow, that’s what!

I’ve been keeping a doozy of a secret for a couple of months now: I am one of nine beauty bloggers that were chosen to be part of the M.A.C Bloggers’ Obsessions Collection, a nine-piece collection of MAC Eyeshadows and Lipglasses launching June 21, exclusively online. (Ok, if I’m honest, I’m currently doing a happy dance in my office.)

At the beginning of this year, M.A.C contacted beauty bloggers from across North America about a “Top Secret Project.” They wanted to give us the opportunity to create our own custom shade for eyes and/or lips!

We were asked to submit a creative concept, shade, shade description, suggested formula (e.g. satin, velvet, matte, etc), and of course, a name. Parisian Skies was inspired by my love for the impressionist painter, Claude Monet and his work “La Promenade, la femme à l’ombrelle.” I just adore the muted tones and shades chosen to colour the sky in this painting, don’t you? And I thought that a grey-blue would be perfect as an eyeshadow. Pretty spectacular, right?

Below is the visual concept I sent in.

In May I was stunned when I received an email from a MAC representative saying “can’t find your phone number, please call me!”  Yes I, Lesley Ellen Mirza, had been chosen, along with eight other bloggers to go actually create our products. It’s still pretty surreal.

I promise to post more about the creating of Parisian Skies next week, so stay tuned!

Here is the collection:

The Eyeshadows

Hocus Pocus: Dark sooty grey with silver pearl (The Makeup Girl)
Jealousy Wakes: Seething emerald green with teal and gold pearl (Temptalia)
Parisian Skies: Muted grey-blue (Lipstick Powder N Paint)
Sparkle, Neely, Sparkle!: Deep rusty brown with champagne-colored sparkle (Beauty Blogging Junkie)

The Lipglasses

All of My Purple Life: Deep purple/grape with subtle sparkle (Afrobella)
Caqui: Persimmon orange (Beauty Maverick)
Evolution Revolution: Warm peachy pink with subtle purple, green, blue micro glitter (Makeup and Beauty Blog)
Nitro:licious 2046: Intense shiny red (Nitrolicious)
Sonoran Rain: Deep coral-red with gold and silver pearl (The Shades of U)

Each item is $17.50/US$14.50.

Will any of these products find their way into your makeup bag?

Awesome Lesley! I love the color. Congratulations!!!

Karen Swaffield said on June 1, 2011 1:10 pm

Lovely shade, lovely! Well done!

Janine . BEAUTYGEEKS said on June 1, 2011 2:21 pm

Congrats! Yours is one of my faves and a definite must have! Can’t wait to see swatches of your creation!

LolaAM said on June 1, 2011 4:59 pm

Love the name, love the shade. How much fun that must have been? I’m impatient to know more. 1 of 9 in all of North America!!! Congrats Ellen!!!

Mylène said on June 1, 2011 7:01 pm

I’ve been on the lookout for a color like Parisian Skies for an eternity! This might just be my first MAC purchase!!!

AmyS said on June 2, 2011 12:05 am

Really? Your comment has definitely made my day!

Lesley Ellen Mirza said on June 2, 2011 7:47 am

it seems really beautiful! I’d like to see more swatches of it^^ Unfortunally I’m italian but I’m going to take something from USA anyway!!

xasperadastra said on June 2, 2011 8:27 am

[...] Lesley Ellen-Lipstick Powder N Paint [...]

Hi, I really this and jealousy wakes from the collection, actually love this more because it’s not shimmery:D i am in europe too but gotta have one of these:D

good inspiration and love love love this color!

and wanna ask one question, will they be online on just maccosmetics.com or would it be online on sites like nordstrom? need this information if you know anything? thanxx!!

Pleinair said on June 5, 2011 4:53 pm

I am SO excited about this shade! I lived in Paris and the color not only emulates the colors selected in the painting, but also the actual color of the skies (seemingly) 90% of the time :)

C’est très bien fait cette ombre à paupière!
♥ Jessica

Jessica said on June 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Great shade! I think it’s perfect. :) Everyone I’m talking to on Twitter seems to want it, too.

Arianne said on June 17, 2011 3:43 pm

[...] a Leslie se inspirou em um quadro de Monet para criar o nome e a cor da sombra. Leia a experiência aqui. Parisian [...]

MAC Bloggers’ Obsessions Collection « said on June 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Will you have a chance to swatch Parisian Skies before the launch on Tuesday?
It’s my favourite shade! Thanks.

Sandy said on June 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Swatched it! Check out the latest post on the site.

The Editor said on June 21, 2011 10:44 am

Thank you Arianne for your comment. Just to let you know, we’ll be doing a giveaway soon.

The Editor said on June 21, 2011 10:45 am

Just received my Parisian Skies today and it’s more beautiful than I imagined, love it!

Sandy said on June 28, 2011 12:20 am

Great colour

Betty said on July 1, 2011 6:38 pm

[...] Skies (created by Lesley) is a satin finish.  I’m so happy I picked this up because it is an extremely wearable grey/blue [...]

[...] The collection is available via maccosmetics.com only. And right now, Parisian Skies is sold out. So it’s a good time to enter Lesley’s contest to win one of 10 eye shadows she has on reserve. To qualify, though, you’ll need to know what inspired the shade, so hit this link before you enter. [...]

[...] coloring or skill level was. A smoky eye so easy, it’s like magic!Lipstick Powder N Paint Parisian Skies – dusty blue grey with a subtle metallic blue sheen Makeup mimics art. Specifically Claude [...]

I absolutely love the shadow colour you created. It looked so gorgeous on you when I saw you the other day! Is it still possible to get these in store?
XO Ali

ChickAdvisor said on July 8, 2011 11:27 am

Thx Ali! Ok, so here’s the scoop…Parisian Skies is completely SOLD OUT, but, MAC are going to being doing another production run shortly. This shadow and the rest of the Bloggers’ Obsessions Collection is available only online.

Lesley Ellen Mirza said on July 8, 2011 11:54 am

Great! Please let me know when it’s available! XO

ChickAdvisor said on July 8, 2011 12:07 pm

Parisian Skies is so suitable for all wardrobes….day and night…love it

Bonnie Humphrey said on July 12, 2011 5:30 pm